Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Tropical storm Sandy, consequence of us?

Some scientists say that the proportion of the storm is due to the polution of the earth. As well as the frequencies will go up in the future. I'm not one of those freaky environmentalists that say here you can se for yourself what happens when you polute the earth. But not too far from it either :P

The thing is that a lot of the scientists working with the environment say that we're affecting the earth  by all the polution we produce. By definition scientists have studied for a long time and they're ussually more clever than the average man or woman. Therefore I hope by that fact alone that it's possible to deduct for an average homo sapiens that there's a higher percentage that what they crying out about might have some hold in reality.

Adding the rule of thumb that it's better to prevent rather than cure and that humans have been provided with intellect far supperior to all other species I see no reason not to try and do something about polution.

It's basically a risk-benefit assessment I know. The only conclusion I can reason for not acting to the info above is that some folks are not willing to something about the problems because it's not going to be bad in their lifetime. I think that is pretty short sighted and Ive also heard the argument that the weather changes we see are just normal fluctuations in the cycles on earth. Again it seems like the general population doesn't mind the risk as long as they're free for not doing work for trying to do something for somebody else than themselves.

I can only refer to the principle of John Nash (movie: beautiful mind): the best outcome is when you do what is best for you and the team/group.

Another possible fact is that there's a threshold for when we can decide wether or not we can decide for ourselves if we want to burn the rock we're living on or the processes go beserk in a feedback loop amplifying itself to destruction. Ive hard talk about this threshold from the scientists and this fact  makes me "curl my toes" as we say in Danish when I see the indifference.

A convincing appeal should be that coulpes with children have even more incentive to do something about it because their children and gran children will be affected even more by it... But again it seems like the glasses with the short sight is worn by the majority. I hope that the incidents like the tropical storm Sandy can wake more people of from their sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment